Stanford School

Stanford Junior and Infant School

Living together - Learning together

Cooper Lane, Laceby, Grimsby
NE Lincolnshire DN37 7AX
Tel. 01472 318003
E. office@stanfordschool.co.uk
Contact. Miss King (Business Manager)

Heritage

The school was formerly a charity school but is now controlled and maintained by N.E. Lincs. Council. It retains the name "Stanford" in its title in recognition of the Stanford Trust, which founded the school in 1730.

Phillip and Sarah Stanford's three children died in infancy so they left land and money to start a school in Laceby.  It is thought they both died before the first school was built in 1730. 

The Stanford Trust is still active, providing additional educational facilities at this school and at the nearby Stanford Centre for residents of the village.  The most recent project is a contribution of £3,200 towards a complete regeneration of the Wild Area to turn it into an outdoor classroom and funding towards a Tyre Play system for children’s activity.

The school also participates in the Stanford Day Service, which is held at the village church of St. Margaret's each year on Ascension Day.

Please read The Stanford Legacy by Pat Anderson below for a fuller history of the Stanfords and the Stanford Trust.

 

Download an Stanford Trust Grant Form


The Stanford Legacy by Pat Anderson

The first thing we must realise is that the Stanford’s were important people; they even had their own coat of arms and it is still the Stanford School badge. The arms were granted by Henry VIII to a William Stanford, an ancestor of Philip Stanford in 1543.
Philip and Sarah his wife lived first of all in their married life at Barnoldby-le-Beck and then at Bradley, where they had 2 children, a boy William and a girl Elizabeth. One died in infancy in 1694 and the other one in 1695.

They subsequently moved to Laceby to the house which still stands at the bottom of Cooper Lane, College Farm House. Here in Laceby they farmed about 90 acres of land which they owned and possibly other land which they rented.

Sarah had been born Sarah Fountain. She was the step-daughter of Richard Nelthorpe of Brigg. The Nelthorpes has already founded Brigg Grammar School so we can see where her interest in education came from.

They lived a normal farming life in Laceby and Philip in his will dated 1712 left all his lands and all his money to Sarah. His will makes interesting reading. He left it “To settle upon such poor widows or other charitable causes she thought fit”. Well that gave Sarah carte blanche to set up some kind of charitable trust. She thought about it for a few years. In 1720 she made the deed which founded The Stanford Trust. It’s not a will, it’s a conveyance to the original Stanford Trustees. In it she decreed that on her death the income from all her lands, house and other money should be used for 5 main causes, the principal one being that a school was to be founded in Laceby for the children of Laceby, Bradley and Barnoldby-le Beck.

She not only said there was to be a school but laid down what the remuneration was to be. The Master was to be paid £12 a year plus free coal the Mistress £4 a year also plus free coal. She also stipulated what subjects were to be taught. The most fascinating one is that she states girls should be taught to cast accounts. For girls in a remote village to be told in 1720 they were to be taught mathematics was really something. Women’s Lib. Please note!

She decreed that once a year on Philip’s birthday, not Ascension Day as it became in later years, all the children were to go to church. They were to hear a suitable sermon preached by the Rector of the village at that time for which he’d be paid £1 and when they left they were to receive a coin to remind them of Philip’s generosity. In the deed it says that 5/- shall be distributed. Now assuming there were 60 children in school they would receive 1d each, hence “Penny Day” and it’s been known as that ever since.

She said that any boys who showed an aptitude should be apprenticed to a craft and the Trust were to pay their apprentice fees. This was wonderful for boys whose only other hope would have been agricultural labour. Mindful of Philip’s provision for the poor widows she stated that the poor of the village could go to the church porch once a month where they would receive free bread and she set aside 5/- a year for the purpose.

Fifthly she stated for all this work the Trustees could treat themselves to a dinner once a year and they could spend 5/- in total on that dinner. For many years the Trustees met in The Cock Inn which stood in Laceby Square but which was demolished in 1816 and was replaced by The Waterloo. Sarah lived until 1725. Just before she died she gave the church at Laceby a lovely silver alms dish. It has on it the Stanford crest and round the side an inscription “Given by Mrs. Sarah Stanford to the Church of Laceby July 22nd 1725”. The interesting thing about that alms dish is that the hallmark is some 50 years earlier, 1676. So was it a wedding present to Philip and Sarah?

The Old School House

After Sarah’s death the Trustees got to work and opened the first Stanford School in 1730 in the house which many of us remember as Mr. Rowson’s. The house which stood at the bottom of Cooper Lane was demolished in 1970. They appointed the first Head, Mr. Anthony Bainton. He duly got his £12 a year. He must have thought it worth it because he stayed 50 years, still the longest tenure by any Headteacher and unlikely to be beaten, although George Smith in the 1800’s served over 40 years and Richard Rowson in our lifetime served 35 years. New buildings (now converted to houses) were added in the 1700’s and 1800’s.

It is still the Stanford School (now serving the villages of Laceby, Aylesby and Irby) albeit it is run by the local authority and funded by them but still owned by the Trust even the new building. In recent years the Trustees have funded a resources room and the staffroom. They’ve helped the school provide computer terminals and every year when children leave the school the Trustees provide them with a book, dictionary or Bible. Also three of the School Governors come directly from the trust. Children still go to church on Ascension Day, they still hear a suitable sermon, the Rector receiving £10 nowadays for it and they still receive a coin -5p now.

Apprentice grants are still given but this area has been widened enormously and now any youngster going on to higher or further education can apply to the Trust for a grant to help fund the cost of their books or tuition. The Trustees set aside some £1500 each year for this purpose.

Poor widows don't attend at the church door for their bread once a month- although it happened well into the 1940's when Ernest Graham brought the bread down from the bakehouse in a basket and stacked it on the seats in the porch. Nowadays this part of the Trust is covered by a separate little Trust within the main body where three Trustees, one appointed by the church and two by the Parish Council, distribute food parcels where they think they will be most appreciated at Christmas

The Stanford Centre

Lastly, the dinner for the Trustees. Now the Trustees invite, once a year, the School staff, the Governors, ex teachers and friends to a high tea after the Founder’s Day Service. In the 1970’s the land from Cooper Lane right down to the kennels was compulsorily purchased by the local authority for housing, playing field and school use, almost 40 acres in total. With this money the Trust was able to embark on a major project, the building of the Stanford Centre which was opened by the Chairman of the Trust, Major Harry Spilman in 1975. As a Millennium Project the Trustees provided a dedicated children's library within the main building. So Sarah's wishes are still interpreted today and if that doesn't make the Trust unique it is certainly unusual and her spirit still lives on.

Stanford School

Laceby

Laceby is a large village about one and a half miles from the western boundary of Grimsby. The village retains its rural character whilst enjoying the facilities which the nearby town and resort of Cleethorpes offer.

The school is built on a pleasant, open site on Cooper Lane. The whole of the school is now housed in the main modern building with two new classrooms having been built in 2011.

The Stanfords

The school was formerly a charity school but is now controlled and maintained by N.E. Lincs. Council. It retains the name "Stanford" in its title in recognition of the Stanford Trust, which founded the school in 1730.

Phillip and Sarah Stanford's three children died in infancy so they left land and money to start a school in Laceby.   It is thought they both died before the first school was built in 1730. 

The Stanford Trust is still active, providing additional educational facilities at this school and at the nearby Stanford Centre for residents of the village.  The most recent project was a contribution of £3,000 towards the renovation of a wild area to create an outdoor learning environment. £1,500 has also been donated towards up-dating IT technology. The school also participates in the Stanford Day Service, which is held at the village church of St. Margaret's each year on Ascension Day.